Saturday 13 February 2016

FILMS THAT GIVE ME SERIOUS WANDERLUST

I'm a huge wanderluster so you can understand why I love films about travel, they give me that big desire to want to drop everything, jump on a plane and travel the world. So here are my top 10 wanderlust films that inspire me to travel..


10. And While We Were Here


This movie is set in Naples, Italy which I would love to visit, I've been to Italy but Naples looks so lovely and this film really captures the beauty of Naples. Kate Bosworth plays a lonely wife lost in a dull relationship as she travels to Naples with her husband for his work. As he leaves her during the days to go to work, she explores Naples and ends up meeting a handsome, young American who totally changes her outlook on life. I love this movie as not only does it show beautiful Naples, but that travelling and meeting new people can totally change you for the better.

9. Hector and the Search for Happiness


Simon Pegg drew me to this film because I love him and also the fact its about travelling. Simon Pegg plays a psychiatrist who is tired of his boring life and decides to travel the world and search for what makes people happy (aka searching for his own happiness). In doing so he travels to so many amazing places including China, The Himalayas and Africa. I love that this film is a comedy with some serious parts of the movie making you want to cry. I just love that this film teaches you that there is more to life then working 9-5 and happiness is only achieved when you go through unhappy times.



8. 127 hours


How can this film not give you wanderlust? The amazing shots of the Grand Canyon are insanely beautiful, especially the sunset ones. The Grand Canyon is definitely on my bucket list and watching this movie makes me desperately want to go. This film is so inspiring as James Franco brings to life the true ordeal Aron Ralston went through and at the end when he frees himself it shows you how he still follows his dreams climbing Mount Everest and living life to the full, that's so inspiring!


7. Lord of the Rings


New Zealand. The backdrop on Lord of the Rings is so amazing you just wish you could be on a journey too exploring the mountains and rivers of New Zealand. I can watch all three films in a day, and then I'll feel totally inspired to travel.


6. Tracks

This is about the true story of Robyn Davidson, a young woman who in 1977 undertook a perilous solo trek across the stunning Australian outback. Her family and friends think she's crazy when she tells them her plan and some even think she'll give up but this only makes her more determined and she does it with only four camels and her dog for company. It's so inspiring that she went through this tough journey and made it to the Indian Ocean rewarded with life changing self-discovery.


5. The Way

The way is about a doctor played by Martin Sheen who travels to France after his son dies during a storm while climbing the Pyrenees to walk The Camino de Santiago. Martin Sheen's character decides to retrieve his son's body but ends up making the journey in homage to his son. While walking The Camino de Santiago he meets other people from around the world who have became broken in some way too and are travelling the route to find meaning in their lives. I loved this movie it made me cry, made me laugh and inspired me so much.


4. Wild

This is the true story of Cheryl Strayed who hiked more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail all by herself. Cheryl starts the journey with no hope in her life anymore, but the determination to leave behind her broken marriage and destructive behaviour. It's so inspiring to see her going through tough times and terrifying moments and just keep going and ending the journey stronger and healed.



3. Lost in Translation

Bill Murray + Scarlett Johansson + Japan.. makes the best film ever! The film is set in Tokyo, Japan one of the places on my bucket list! Bill Murray plays an actor working in Japan but can't speak a word of Japanese, Scarlett Johansson is also there to support her husband who is also in Japan for work. Both are feeling lonely in Japan but when they meet they create a bond with each other and explore Japan together. I just love how this movie shows travelling can form unlikely bonds with people you would never think you'd be friends with if you were back home, it shows you can meet all kinds of people while travelling to another place.



2. Eat Pray Love

This is one of my all time favourite films! It's a true story about Elizabeth Gilbert who has a serious case of wanderlust but feels trapped in her broken marriage and job. She decides to leave it behind and go on a journey. She starts off in Italy to eat, then India to practice meditation and find her spiritual side and then Bali to love! She makes new friends along the way, rediscovers herself and becomes a stronger person. This film inspired me so much and i would love to take the same journey too one day! Also if you love the film i definitely recommend the book, it's even better!


1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is my favourite travel film ever! Whenever I want to feel inspired I watch this movie. It stars Ben Stiller who's my absolute fave and he plays Walter Mitty who is a bit of a daydreamer which I can totally relate to and deep down he wishes for a more exciting life rather than his daily job at Life magazine. In desperation to keep his job he needs to retrieve the picture for the cover of the final issue, in order to do this Walter travels to Greenland to find the photographer to get the photo. During his journey he leaves his comfort zone and jumps out of a helicopter into the ocean and fights off a shark, skateboards around Iceland, runs away from a volcanic eruption and climbs the Himalayas. After his journey Walter comes back a changed man, feeling more alive and happy. I love this movie so much, it inspired me to travel to Iceland one day and also to do more exciting things in life and really live it to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment