Saturday 9 January 2016

ITALY PART 1 - Lake Garda


I have always wanted to go to Italy, not only because I am such a big pizza lover but it also looked like such a beautiful country full of culture, amazing food and gorgeous weather. So in May last year we decided to take a trip to the northern part of Italy, Lake Garda.



We flew from Newcastle to Lake Garda and as soon as we arrived I just felt the heat straight away which I didn't expect as before we came people who have been before said it rains a lot in Lake Garda and can be cold this time of year, but it was the opposite when we were there.





We arrived at our hotel, checked in, dropped off our bags and headed back out. I'm not one of those people who likes to lounge around the hotel when I arrive, I have to be out exploring straight away. We discovered some lovely restaurants, cafes and really cool bars. Lake Garda is so relaxing and it was lovely to walk along the lake as it was so calm and so pretty. I love how Lake Garda's so green and full of amazing flowers.







Even though Lake Garda was fairly small you could still walk around plenty of times and discover another alley way with hidden shops and restaurants. I loved that wherever you go in Italy you can smell pizza down every street as they have pizza places everywhere. You can never spend ages searching for somewhere to eat.

I also loved that they have lots of little markets going on in Lake Garda selling handmade items, antiques, jewellery and paintings. I wish I could have bought the paintings, one was of the painting The Kiss by Gustav Klimt, one of my favourites but I doubt it would have fit in my suitcase!





The food and cocktails are amazing in Italy, I don't think I have ever ate so much pasta, pizza, bread or tiramisu! We also bought a few things from the supermarket to take home like Italian cakes, biscuits and handmade pasta. I also can't forget to mention Italy's famous Gelato, BEST ICE CREAM EVER. Every time I passed a Gelato shop I just had to get some, you can get 1 to 3 scoops in a tub or cone and they have so many flavours, I definitely recommend the pistachio flavour it was soo good.

The wine is just amazing and so cheap as it's made locally, we bought a few bottles to drink on the balcony of our hotel room on the nights as they were so cheap, the cocktails were so nice too, they have a cocktail which is a favourite among the Italians called an Aperol Spritz which has prosecco, Aperol and soda served in a large wine glass.












Read my next Italy blog here: Italy Part Two - Malcesine 

No comments:

Post a Comment